A leading Technology for Development organization in Ghana, Savana Signatures (SavSign) is seeking for the services of Communication Officer in its head office in Tamale, Northern Region of Ghana.
According to call for application, the Communications Officer will have the responsibility for reviewing, developing and implementing communications strategy for the organization.
Savana Signatures which started its operations in 2005 in the Savelugu District of the Northern Region of Ghana with two voluntary staff. Though unregistered then, it operated under the name Northern Information Network for Schools (NINS) and implemented activities related to ICT; set up a small computer laboratory where pupils and teachers were trained. The need for the organisation arose when government of Ghana at the time introduced ICTs into the schools’ curriculum. In 2009 however, the organization moved its offices from Savelugu to Tamale for purposes of visibility, and to take advantage of available NGO partnerships, networks and alliances. The organisation was then registered as a Non-Governmental Organization with the name Savana Signatures in 2009.
Read the full call for application:
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Post Title: Communications Officer
Duty Station: Tamale, Ghana
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Are you very good at writing attention-grabbing articles in English? Do you know how to extract interesting stories from a multitude of sources, projects and people? Can you summarize complex matters in easy, accessible language
Then we are looking for you as our Communication Officer at Savana Signatures.
Savana Signatures is a non-profit organisation registered and operating in Ghana. We have a vision of a nation where all have access to tools that improve their livelihoods and quality of life and a mission to initiate positive change among youth, women and vulnerable populations of Ghana using ICT solutions to facilitate access to Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR), Quality Education and Skills Development.
The Communications Officer will have the responsibility for reviewing / developing a communications
strategy for Savana Signatures and implementing same.
You will support our projects in communicating their achievements in the fields of technological innovation, quality
education, sexual reproductive health and rights and skills development. You will communicate Savana Signatures’ achievements to our stakeholders, thematic experts and decision-makers.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Implementation of Savana Signatures’ communication strategy
1. Producing print and online content (e.g. web texts, infographics, fact sheets, brochures)
2. Managing the organisation’s website
3. Producing and managing content on social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube)
4. Producing marketing and information materials
5. Producing quarterly newsletter of the organization
6. Producing annual reports
Training and advice for projects concerning communication
1. Supporting and advising projects regarding strategic communication and communication activities
2. Supporting colleagues in communication tasks
3. Providing internal support with respect to corporate design
EXPECTED QUALIFICATION AND PROFILE
1. University degree or further education in a relevant field, e.g. in journalism, communications,
marketing or equivalent
2. Significant work experience in public relations, communication or journalism, ideally in a
development/NGO work context
3. Advanced journalistic techniques for drafting content across different media, in particular print
and web/social media (confirmed by work samples in English)
4. Knowledge of video editing is an advantage
5. Proficiency in applying MS office applications; experience with content management systems and
graphic design software. Affinity to photography, image processing as well as online
collaboration and communication tools are assets.
6. Fluent in oral and written English
7. Demonstrated experience in media relations.
8. Knowledge of, and interest in, development communication
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
Applications have to be submitted electronically in English by 5pm on Friday, 15th September, 2017 to
the following email address: email@example.com
Applications have to include the following documents:
1. Motivation letter (1 page),
3. Up to three work samples in electronic version (own articles, publications, blogs, videos, infographs, etc.)
These documents will constitute the basis for selecting candidates for job interviews. Interviews are planned for 25th and 26th of September, 2017 in Tamale. Candidates might be contacted by telephone during the selection process. The selected candidate is expected to start in the first week of October, 2017